TUCSON, Ariz., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The United States Marine Corps awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a contract for the design, development and demonstration of a new production representative 120mm long-range, guided-mortar munition.
Once fielded, the Precision Extended Range Munition (PERM) will be used with the M327 rifled towed mortar, the primary weapon system of the Expeditionary Fire Support System. The system provides all-weather, ground-based close support, and immediately responsive and accurate indirect fires in support of the Marine air-to-ground task force.
"Leveraging our extensive experience with precision munitions, Raytheon will provide the Marine Corps with precision, highly lethal indirect fire support for its combat operations while minimizing collateral damage," said Tom Bussing, vice president of Advanced Missile Systems for Raytheon Missile Systems. "Our PERM solution is also expected to reduce logistical burdens since fewer rounds will be needed to accomplish the mission."
Under the PERM contract, Raytheon will design, develop, test and deliver mature, production-representative mortars for a live-fire demonstration by the Marines in 18 months. The company has partnered with Israeli Military Industries, an experienced provider of weapon systems.About PERM
- Excalibur-like operational flexibility and precision lethality for the Marine expeditionary unit.
- Extended range to reach enemy artillery, command and control centers, and other targets beyond current mortar capabilities.
- Engineering and manufacturing development program expected to be completed within 24 months.
- Robust across all-weather conditions and terrain.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts