II-VI 2Q Net Income Falls 8 Pct On Sluggish Demand
SAXONBURG, Pa. (AP) â¿¿ Laser and optics manufacturer II-VI Inc. said Tuesday its fiscal second-quarter net income fell 8 percent, blaming weak demand for its products in the last few weeks of the quarter.
For the quarter ended Dec. 31, II-VI earned $12.2 million, or 19 cents per share, down from $13.3 million, or 21 cents per share, in the prior-year period.
Revenue edged down less than 1 percent to $125.9 million from $126.8 million, including a 3 percent gain in domestic revenue to $51.5 million and a 3 percent drop in international revenue to $74.4 million.
Analysts, on average, expected a profit of 21 cents per share on $138.1 million in revenue, according to FactSet.The company said that revenue from recent acquisitions helped offset a drop in customer demand toward the end of the quarter. II-VI added that its Pacific Rare Specialty Metals & Chemicals business continues to adjust to lower index pricing and lower demand for certain materials, while experiencing start-up challenges with its new product line. Meanwhile, the company's advanced products group was helped by revenue from a recent acquisition, but those gains were offset by acquisition-related costs and lower demand for commercial products at another business. II-VI projected a fiscal third-quarter profit of 24 cents to 28 cents per share on $145 million to $150 million in revenue, while analysts expect a profit of 27 cents per share on $156.9 million in revenue. For the full fiscal year, the company said it expects to earn between 91 cents to 99 cents per share on $560 million to $570 million, while analysts expect earnings of $1.01 per share on $594.4 million in revenue. II-VI shares closed Friday at $19.67, and have traded between $15.32 and $24.63 in the past 52 weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV