Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE: KSS) today announced a $2 million donation to Discovery World in Milwaukee, Wis., over three years to continue support for Kohl’s Design It!, an educational program allowing kids to use advanced technology to turn design into reality. The donation comes from the Kohl’s Cares ® cause merchandise program which sells special merchandise, including plush toys and books, and donates 100 percent of the net profit to benefit children’s health and education initiatives nationwide.
Discovery World, an educational and experiential learning center in Milwaukee, is nationally recognized for its pioneering approach to education and serves more than 300,000 people each year. Through an initial $2 million donation from Kohl’s Cares in 2010, Discovery World launched the Kohl’s Design It! Program, which is free with admission to all Discovery World attendees and school groups.
“Kohl’s shares Discovery World’s commitment to enhancing education and providing valuable learning opportunities for kids and families,” said Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, president and chief executive officer. “We are proud to continue our partnership with Discovery World as we work together to encourage a new generation of innovators.”
The Kohl’s Design It! Program consists of the following components:
- Kohl’s Design It! Lab: A hands-on learning lab at Discovery World, providing students with a greater understanding of how things are made and how technology is involved in transforming ideas into objects. The lab includes workstations, tools, equipment and themed curriculum for students to create items such as personalized flashlights, jewelry inspired by designs found in nature or backpacks made with recycled materials.
- Kohl’s Design It! Mobile Lab: A portable version of the on-site lab to extend program delivery beyond the walls of the Discovery World facility. Trained lab educators travel to schools, youth-serving agencies and community festivals in the Kohl’s Design It! Mobile Lab.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts