Bank of Marin Bancorp, "Bancorp" (NASDAQ: BMRC), parent company of Bank of Marin, announced earnings for the quarter ended December 31, 2012 of $4.7 million, an increase of $1.5 million, or 45.8% from $3.2 million in the third quarter of 2012, and an increase of $1.3 million, or 39.0% from $3.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. Diluted earnings per share totaled $0.86 in the fourth quarter of 2012, up $0.27, or 45.8% from $0.59 in the prior quarter, and up $0.23, or 36.5% from $0.63 in the same quarter a year ago. Earnings for the fourth quarter of 2012 reflect a $1.0 million pre-tax gain on the pay-off of a purchased-credit impaired ("PCI") loan. This gain increased fourth quarter diluted earnings per share by 12 cents on an after-tax basis.
2012 record annual earnings totaled $17.8 million, an increase of $2.3 million, or 14.5%, from $15.6 million a year ago. Diluted earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2012 totaled $3.28, up $0.39, or 13.5%, from $2.89 in the prior year.
“The Bank's overall strong performance demonstrates the solid relationships we have built with customers while also maintaining our high credit quality standards," said Russell A. Colombo, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Our robust loan growth in the fourth quarter reflects our continued focus on business development to build the loan portfolio."
Bancorp also provided the following highlights on its operating and financial performance for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012:
- Loan growth in the fourth quarter of 2012 totaled $60.2 million, or 5.9%, primarily due to investor-owned commercial real estate loan originations in the Marin and San Francisco markets. Gross loans totaled $1.1 billion at December 31, 2012.
- Credit quality remains solid with non-performing loans at 1.64% of total loans, down from 1.90% in the prior quarter. Accruing loans past due 30 to 89 days decreased from $2.1 million in the prior quarter to $588 thousand at December 31, 2012.
- Deposits increased $50.3 million, or 4.2% in 2012 to $1.3 billion, reflecting a favorable shift in the deposit mix from higher-interest bearing time accounts to core deposits. Non-interest bearing deposits comprised 31.1% of total deposits at December 31, 2012.
- In a conscious effort to deploy excess liquidity, Bancorp grew the investment portfolio by $52.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2012 and $98.6 million in the year ended December 31, 2012 (primarily investment-grade municipal securities and corporate bonds).
- On January 17, 2013, the Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.18 per share. The cash dividend is payable to shareholders of record at the close of business on February 1, 2013 and will be payable on February 15, 2013.