Now, let it be known, I don't treat valuation metrics like old school market guys. In fact, I no longer think valuation when I see a P/E. I think confidence. How much confidence do investors have in the company's ability to maintain its present and anticipated pace of growth for the foreseeable future? From there, I assess the company's strategic-competitive position to see if I can have the same level of confidence.
Throughout 2011, I was never able to get with Netflix's (NFLX) "confidence" multiple. Wall Street was overconfident there. It did not price the stock appropriately vis-a-vis Netflix's business model and shaky future. The same thing is about to happen again.
By contrast, I'm good with LinkedIn's (LNKD) "confidence" multiple right now. But, as OK as I am with Wall Street's trust in Bezos, I sure as heck don't believe we should be 275 times more confident in Amazon's long term than we are in Apple's simply because Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs, toils as CEO. That's nuts.
And that's why the portrayal "Investors Struggle to Get Handle on Apple" is absolutely absurd. If you can't get a handle on Apple, you haven't been paying attention.Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV