NEW YORK ( TheStreet) --B eing a trader of biotech has definite advantages. Instead of trying find the best new drug or hottest technology in the small-cap biotech sector, I trade based on the predictable patterns of human behavior. As I've seen played out over and over, the best-trading stocks are usually not the best investments.
A.P. Pharma (APPA) is a specialty pharmaceutical company that develops improved, long-acting formulations of injected drugs. The company's lead product is APF530, a long-acting formulation of the anti-emetic granisetron. The FDA is current reviewing APF530 with an approval decision date of March 27. A.P. Pharma is seeking approval of APF530 for the treatment of acute and delayed onset chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV.)
APF530 is a $900 million market opportunity in the U.S. based upon 5.1 million vials of injectable 5-HT3 antagonists administered for CINV in 2011 and an average selling price for market leader Aloxi (marketed by Eisai) of $175. A.P. Pharma raised enough money in July 2012 to fund the company through an expected launch in the second half of the year. The risk that A. P. Pharma raises more money prior to the March 27 FDA decision is low.
Three factors make A.P. Pharma a good trade into the FDA approval decision: First, A.P. Pharma shares trade for 64 cents, which looks cheap to traders even though the company, with more than 300 million outstanding shares, isn't. Traders care about the stock price not market value, so a 64-cent stock will attract penny-stock traders hoping for a quick double or triple on their bets.Second, there are some well-known investors involved with A.P. Pharma, including Baker Brothers, Tang Capital Management and Perceptive Advisors. This gives much-needed credibility to the company and will attract traders and investors who otherwise may not get involved with a penny stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV