Jan. 22, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Echo Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECTE), a company developing its needle-free Symphony
Transdermal Continuous Glucose Monitoring (tCGM) System as a non-invasive, wireless, transdermal continuous glucose monitoring system, presented an expanded analysis of data collected from the clinical study of Echo's Symphony tCGM System in critically ill patients at Tufts Medical Center in
, MA. The data were presented during Display and Professor Walk Rounds on
Sunday, January 20, 2013
at the Society of Critical Care Medicine's 42
Critical Care Congress.
The poster, entitled "Accuracy of a Novel Non-Invasive Transdermal Continuous Glucose Monitor in Critically Ill Patients," presented by the principal investigator,
Stanley A. Nasraway
, M.D., FCCM, provided data from fifteen (15) patients who were undergoing elective cardiac surgery. The patients' glucose levels were monitored continuously for 24 hours. The key findings include:
- Using 570 Symphony tCGM glucose readings paired with reference blood glucose measurements, the Mean Absolute Relative Difference (MARD) was 12.3%.
- The Clarke Error Grid (CEG) analysis showed that 81.7% of the readings appeared in the grid's A zone with the remaining 18.3% percent falling in the B zone. The grid's A zone represents results that are the most clinically accurate and results in the B zone are considered clinically acceptable.
- The Continuous Glucose-Error Grid analysis (CG-EGA) showed that 99.6% of the readings were clinically accurate (A) and 0.0% were benign (B) errors with a combined A+B of 99.6%.
- 94.4% of the calculated CGM rates were within +/-1 mg/dL/min of the reference rate and 99.6% were within +/-2 mg/dL/min.
"We value this opportunity for engagement with the critical care community to share this Symphony study data with key opinion leaders in the field as we prepare for upcoming European and FDA regulatory trials," said
, Echo Therapeutics' Vice President of Marketing and Commercial Development. "As we explore collaboration opportunities, we are very encouraged by the increasing awareness of our developmental, non-invasive continuous glucose monitoring technology."
About Echo Therapeutics
Echo Therapeutics is developing the Symphony tCGM System as a non-invasive, wireless, transdermal continuous glucose monitoring system. Our target is patients who could benefit from glucose monitoring in the hospital setting, including critical care. Significant opportunity also exists for patients with diabetes to use Symphony in the outpatient setting. Echo is also developing its needle-free skin preparation component of Symphony, the Prelude
SkinPrep System, as a platform technology to enhance drug delivery of topical pharmaceuticals.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward Looking Statements
The statements in this press release that are not historical facts may constitute forward-looking statements that are based on current expectations and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual future results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Those risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, risks related to regulatory approvals and the success of Echo's ongoing studies, including the safety and efficacy of Echo's Symphony tCGM System, the failure of future development and preliminary marketing efforts related to Echo's Symphony tCGM and Prelude SkinPrep Systems, Echo's ability to secure additional commercial partnering arrangements, risks and uncertainties relating to Echo's and its partners' ability to develop, market and sell diagnostic and transdermal drug delivery products based on its skin permeation platform technologies, including the Symphony tCGM and Prelude SkinPrep Systems, the availability of substantial additional equity or debt capital to support its research, development and product commercialization activities, and the success of its research, development, regulatory approval, marketing and distribution plans and strategies, including those plans and strategies related to its Symphony tCGM and Prelude SkinPrep Systems. These and other risks and uncertainties are identified and described in more detail in Echo's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, without limitation, its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended
December 31, 2011
, its Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and its Current Reports on Form 8-K. Echo undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.
For More Information:
Christine H. Olimpio
Director, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications (215) 717-4104
Connect With Us:
- Visit our website at
- Follow us on Twitter at
- Join us on Facebook at
SOURCE Echo Therapeutics, Inc.