Content ultimately wins these battles. If your content -- a 60-second commercial, an article, a radio spot, a picture, a Facebook promoted post, whatever -- doesn't cut through, it's your own fault. When something I put dollars behind on TheStreet's Facebook page falls flat, I don't blame the medium; I blame myself.
Did I choose the right article? Did I word the post properly? Did I target the appropriate demos? Am I posting too frequently? Am I not posting enough?
But, truth be told, more often than not Facebook advertising works for TheStreet. And it works for Ford because, unlike GM, Ford gets it. Just dig this blurb I used in the GM/F article linked on Page One, Bullet Point Three of the present article:
"You just can't buy your way into Facebook," said Ford spokesman Scott Monty. "You need to have a credible presence and be doing innovative things." More than 20% of Ford's marketing budget is spent on digital and social media.
Right on, brother. Facebook advertising works for individuals and companies who not only know how to use social, but why they're using it in the first place. You don't use Facebook to sell widgets; you use it to get in front of people who like what you do as well as the ones who have no idea that you exist.So, if you're looking at the stock, don't let the Facebook might not be an effective advertising platform meme keep you away. It is. I know this firsthand. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV