Synovus Financial Corp. (NYSE: SNV) today reported financial results for the quarter ended December 31, 2012.
Fourth Quarter Results
- Net income available to common shareholders was $712.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to net income available to common shareholders of $16.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 and $12.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2011. Net income available to common shareholders was $775.0 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared to a net loss attributable to common shareholders of $118.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2011.
- Diluted net income per common share for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $0.78, compared to diluted net income per common share of $0.02 for the third quarter of 2012 and $0.01 for the fourth quarter of 2011. Diluted net income per common share for the year ended December 31, 2012 was $0.85, compared to a net loss per common share of $0.15 for the year ended December 31, 2011.
- The fourth quarter results include an income tax benefit of approximately $800 million from the recapture of substantially all of the deferred tax asset valuation allowance. The recapture of the deferred tax asset drove the $0.89 increase in tangible book value per share during the quarter to $2.96.
- The fourth quarter results also reflect the successful completion of distressed asset sales of approximately $545 million, including the execution of a bulk sale effective December 10, 2012. The fourth quarter distressed asset dispositions resulted in a pre-tax charge of approximately $157 million.
“Our fourth quarter performance represents another huge step forward for our company,” said Kessel D. Stelling, Chairman and CEO of Synovus. “The recapture of the deferred tax asset is a significant milestone that reflects years of progress and further demonstrates our company’s return to a position of strength. Additionally, the successful execution of the bulk sale during the fourth quarter accelerates credit quality improvement and also enhances our future financial performance.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV