By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) was active along with other banks on Friday as traders bet that there is still more upside in the name.
Buying hit our scanners early in the February 50 calls, with traders paying 8 cents and 9 cents for a quick 7,800 contracts. The activity would continue and volume would top 40,000 contracts by the end of the session, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. Premiums also doubled to 17 cents.
Those calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares. They can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally but also stand to become worthless if the stock doesn't move.JPMorgan's shares rose 0.04% to $46.46 on Friday and are up almost 18% in the last two months. The bulls were piling into other financial names as well, including Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs. Calls outnumbered puts in JPM by 153,000 to 33,000, a big sign of the optimistic sentiment. Najarian owns JPM calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV