From Foster Care To The Inauguration To Tomorrow's Leadership
WASHINGTON, Jan. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Foster care alumni from Fedcap Washingtonians for Children ( http://www.fedcap.org/) and other DC, Virginia and Maryland programs witnessed history – and their own potential futures – as attendees at the inauguration of President Barack Obama.
The 30 young people, all college students or recent graduates, overcame enormous barriers – and odds – to reach higher education. While 70 percent of foster youth say they want to go to college, fewer than 10 percent enroll and only 3 percent of those students graduate. Almost half of foster care alumni are unemployed at age 21, and rates of teen-age pregnancy, homelessness and incarceration are high.
Here's what they had to say about today's ceremony:
- "This inauguration defined opportunity."
- "Seeing the President and his family in person was so inspiring and made it all seem so much more real."
- "The fact that it was the second term of an African-American President and that it landed on Martin Luther King's birthday brought tears to my eyes."
- "Nobody, absolutely nobody, can stop us from achieving what we want."
"These young people represent the future leaders President Obama referenced in his speech, the people who will carry on the fight for 'a more perfect union,' and especially the fight to change the story for their brothers and sisters in foster care in America," said Roque Gerald, Director of Fedcap Washingtonians for Children, which partners with the DC Child and Family Services Agency to ensure that youth transitioning from foster care enter college and graduate."This President is an inspiring illustration of breaking through barriers to achieve greatness," he said. "We are so proud to have shared this day with the amazing youth we serve, and to be helping them to reach their own full potential."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV