Dr. Pylkas To Speak On Addiction
ST. PAUL, Minn., Jan. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Is there a better way to treat addiction? That's what Dr. Anne Pylkas will be talking about during a lecture at Dakota Unitarian Universalist Church in Burnsville on Sunday, January 27 at 10:30 AM. Dr. Pylkas is an internal medicine physician who practices primary care and addiction medicine at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. She also runs her own private practice called Medical Addiction Treatment (MAT) Clinic in Burnsville, which is online at www.matclinicmn.com.
"In a lot of ways, addiction is being treated the same way now as it was sixty years ago," says Dr. Pylkas. "We've learned so much about addiction, how the chemistry of the brain works, and what treatments are most effective, yet most patients don't receive what should be considered the standard of care today."
The problem is immense. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that addiction is more common than heart disease, diabetes, or cancer. This means millions of families face barriers when trying to get their loved ones the care they need. Traditional chemical dependency treatment at a "rehab" center is expensive, often costing tens of thousands of dollars, and insurance rarely covers the full cost. People going through in-patient addiction treatment have to miss work or school and be away from their support networks. The process is expensive, emotionally intrusive and a single stay in treatment rarely leads to long-term sobriety.
Dr. Pylkas advocates for integrating addiction treatment into the mainstream of medical care. "We need to see it the way we see depression or diabetes. They're all chronic diseases that we screen for, diagnose, and treat with evidence-based therapies. There are medications and behavioral treatments that are effective in treating addiction."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV