UN Predicts Millions More Jobless Despite Growth
BERLIN (AP) â¿¿ The U.N. labor agency warns that the lingering effects of the global economic crisis means unemployment will continue to rise â¿¿ even though world economies are expected to pick up.
The International Labor Organization said in a report released Tuesday the net number of unemployed people rose by 4 million in 2012 to some 197 million overall. It is expected to rise by 5.1 million in 2013, and by another 3 million in 2014.
ILO Director-General Guy Ryder says "An uncertain economic outlook, and the inadequacy of policy to counter this, has weakened aggregate demand, holding back investment and hiring."
The global unemployment rate during the crisis peaked at 6.21 percent in 2009 and was 5.93 percent in 2012. It's expected to reach 6.01 percent in 2013 and 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV