PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- American consumers get pretty riled up about the price and value of their products, but few things unnerve this country's proud shoppers more than American products that aren't made here.
How do we know? Because we wrote about "American" products made elsewhere almost a full year ago and readers still keep writing in about it. They're plenty angry with brands such as Converse Chuck Taylors, Levi's Jeans, American Girl dolls and even Craftsman tools that aren't strictly "Made In The U.S.A." anymore. Still, the commenters are generally positive and just want to know what is American made.
We wrote about that, too, last summer, but emails and comments kept trickling in with more inquiries and suggestions. This only confirms a 2010 survey by Adweek Media and Harris, which found that 61% of Americans say they are more likely to buy a product when an ad says it's "Made in America." That includes 75% of Americans 55 and over, 66% of those 45 to 54 and 61% of those 35 to 44.
It also supports a 2011 study conducted by global management consulting firm Booz & Co. with the University of Michigan's Tauber Institute for Global Operations that found that U.S manufacturers make about 75% of the goods consumed in this country, but could make as much as 95% with help from business and government leaders. We scrolled through the inbox and pulled out 10 more examples of 10 American-made products looking to lead the way:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV