Energy performance of buildings takes in account opaque and transparent surfaces, electrical equipment, the building envelope. Two case studies are reported, based on two houses respectively in Berlin and Milan.
Energy performance of products is analyzed for lighting (fluorescence energy savings and LED lights), major white appliances, HVAC (heating ventilation and air conditioning) systems, production of domestic hot water, renewable energy resources, wooden houses, building automation, data centers.
The attached Excel spreadsheet is useful for the qualitative calculation of both the energy and the economic savings of the main actions that can be taken, making some assumptions.
Two main categories of interventions were considered, which have different work sheets:
- Interventions to the building envelope: these actions involve raising the energy-efficiency of the opaque surfaces (walls) and the transparent ones (windows).
- Interventions to appliances: these actions involve raising the energy-efficiency of the electrical and thermal support systems present in the building.
Chapter 5 shows the last available turnover, employment, web address for over 1000 players in this field, according to different categories: architectural and engineering companies, builders and developers, manufacturer of prefabricated buildings, water management, photovoltaic systems, renewable energy, building automation, industrial controls. Among the companies for which at least one product is analyzed: Bayer, BSH, Dow Building Solutions, Glassolutions/Saint Gobain, Italcementi, Knauf, Komatsu, Philips Lighting, Rockwool, Schoeck, Velux, Vimar.
Table of Contents
1. The Legal Framework
Energy performance of buildings
- New buildings and existing buildings
Measures for the energy-efficiency of products
- The main EU legislations regulating household appliances
Energy-efficiency of office equipment: The Energy Star Programme (EU -
2. The European building stock
For Each country considered:
- Economic and Building indicators, last available year