BICSI Winter Conference and Exhibition, Booth #233 – Today, 3M unveiled a portfolio of Passive Optical LAN Solutions for the enterprise LAN. The future-ready fiber-to-the-desktop LAN technology is gaining traction within the industry as the alternative to traditional copper-based Layer 2 Ethernet switches.
Passive Optical LAN is being adopted at a fast pace by large government and enterprise LAN customers attracted to the benefits of significant cost savings including up to 70 percent reduction of equipment and infrastructure, up to 80 percent less power costs because there is no active component required on every floor in the telecom room, and up to 90 percent less space and material requirements.
Delivering converged high bandwidth services with no need for active electronics between the main equipment room and the work area all over one singlemode fiber means POLS provides a better way of networking with the added benefit of future-proofing cabling infrastructure assets. Overall, POL requires less equipment using less energy (compared to traditional enterprise Ethernet LAN switches deployed over 100 Ohm Category copper twisted pair media) which translates to lower deployment and operating expenses for a smarter business solution.
3M draws on the experience of more than 50 years in telecommunications to optimize the Passive Optical LAN Solutions portfolio. 3M POLS products include:
- High-Performance Fiber Cable
- Innovative One Pass Fiber Pathways for below-the-ceiling
- Revolutionary Field Terminated Fiber Connectors
- Wall and Rackmount Fiber Distribution Systems
- Optimized Splitter Modules and Shelves
- Multi-fiber backbone trunks and MPO modules
- Various types of Pre-terminated Fiber Cable Assemblies needed for POL
- Faceplates and Wall Outlets
- Copper Patch Panels and Jacks