Though horror films generally are a hit with male audiences, Mama appealed strongly to females, who made up 61% of its moviegoers. That was key on a weekend filled with male-driven movies, including Broken City, 'The Last Stand, Warner Bros.' Gangster Squad and the Weinstein Co.'s Django Unchained.
"It's an incredibly competitive marketplace for testosterone-driven films," said Dergarabedian.
The Weinstein Co.'s Silver Linings Playbook, nominated for eight Academy Awards including best picture, expanded to its largest number of theaters in its 10th week of release. Playing in 2,523 theaters, a jump of 1,713 theaters, the David O. Russell film took in $11.4 million on the weekend -- the same in which its star Jennifer Lawrence hosted Saturday Night Live -- for a cumulative of $55.3 million.
Also nominated for best picture, Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, in its fourth week became the director's biggest box-office hit. It surpassed his previous film, Inglourious Basterds, by adding $8.2 million for a domestic total of $138.4 million.Universal is owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp. (CMCSA). 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by News Corp. (NWS).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV