Naturally, there is an array of broader tech ETFs that might capture a wider pickup in IT spending and the capital appreciation of shares that might come with it. Nevertheless, few ETFs will offer the "cap app" potential alongside a more robust yield.
4. Speaking of a 3.5% yield. Like the utilities sector, the telecom sector is known for reliable and above-average dividends. Unlike utilities, telecom is not historically overvalued, nor is it as price-sensitive to rising bond yields. VOX currently offers 3.53% and has an expense ratio of a mere 0.14%. The yield is 160 basis points higher than the 10-year and 140 basis points greater than the dividend of the SPDR S&P 500 Trust (SPY), making VOX very desirable in the ultra-low rate environment.
5. Consistent technical support at its long-term trendline. Since early February of 2012, VOX has tested its 200-day moving average on three separate occasions. Each time, the technical trend proved resilient.
This fact does not imply that telecom will never sink or that it is impenetrable. It simply tells me that, when it is struggling, yield-hunters or dip-buyers have been stepping up to the purchasing plate.Follow @ETFexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV