5. Real Estate
Service-based businesses are popular franchises to open, especially post-recession, considering the lower startup costs.
The real estate sector is poised for growth. Linked to the housing recovery, the number of real estate franchises is expected to rise 1.6% in 2013.According to the IFA forecast, sales of new homes is expected to rise by 19% in 2012. Sales of existing single-family homes, co-ops and condos are forecast to be up 8.5% in 2012 and 8.9% in 2013. "People don't think about real estate brokers as being franchises," says Matt Haller, spokesman for the IFA. "That's a huge opportunity for people that want to get into [real estate] because people are buying homes again. Every month the numbers seem to continue to get better again." -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV