Telecom giant AT&T (T) will take a $10 billion fourth-quarter charge related to its pension and benefit plans, the company warned late on Thursday. AT&T also warned that high smartphone subsidies will put pressure on the firm's profit and estimated that the impact of storms, including Superstorm Sandy, will reduce its fourth-quarter operating income by around $175 million.
AT&T shares closed the week down 2.4% at $33.44.
In addition to Apple, a host of other tech companies report quarterly results next week, including IBM (IBM), Symantec (SYMC), Google (GOOG), AMD (AMD), Texas Instruments (TXN), F5 Networks (FFIV) and Juniper Networks (JNPR).-- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV