In addition to its therapeutic uses, the same formulation of BOTOX® with dosing specific to moderate to severe glabellar lines was approved by the FDA in 2002 under the trade name BOTOX® Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA). BOTOX® Cosmetic is indicated for the temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) associated with corrugators and/or procerus muscle activity in adult patients up to 65 years of age.Since its first approval in 1989, BOTOX® has been recognized by regulatory authorities worldwide as an effective treatment for 26 different indications in approximately 85 countries, benefiting millions of patients worldwide.
- to treat overactive bladder symptoms such as a strong need to urinate with leaking or wetting accidents (urge urinary incontinence), a strong need to urinate right away (urgency), and urinating often (frequency) in adults 18 years and older when another type of medicine (anticholinergic) does not work well enough or cannot be taken.
- to treat leakage of urine (incontinence) in adults 18 years and older with overactive bladder due to neurologic disease who still have leakage or cannot tolerate the side effects after trying an anticholinergic medication
- to prevent headaches in adults with chronic migraine who have 15 or more days each month with headache lasting 4 or more hours each day in people 18 years or older
- to treat increased muscle stiffness in elbow, wrist, and finger muscles in people 18 years and older with upper limb spasticity
- to treat the abnormal head position and neck pain that happens with cervical dystonia (CD) in people 16 years and older
- to treat certain types of eye muscle problems (strabismus) or abnormal spasm of the eyelids (blepharospasm) in people 12 years and older