La. Jobless Rate Drops But Payrolls Fall Sharply
The national unemployment rate was 7.8 percent December, the same as in November but down from the 8.5 percent level of December 2011.
The broadest measure of those who are seeking work averaged 12.7 percent in Louisiana over the 12 months ending Oct. 31, the most recent figures available. That number includes people who are working part time because they can't find a full-time job, are looking for work only sporadically, or have given up looking.
Nationwide, that broad measure averaged 15 percent during the same time.
Parish-level unemployment numbers will be released Jan. 25.___ Follow Jeff Amy at: http://twitter.com/jeffamy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV