LAS VEGAS, Jan. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Governor Brian Sandoval has awarded MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) the 11 th Annual Nevada Governor's Points of Light Award for its employee volunteer initiative.
The recognition comes on the heels of MGM Resorts' announcement that in 2012, employees donated more than 113,000 volunteer hours to the community, far surpassing the corporate goal of 100,000 hours set by Jim Murren, Chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts. A total of 850 charitable organizations benefited from the employees' community service last year.
The value of time donated by MGM Resorts' employees is estimated at more than $2.1 million, according to the Independent Sector, an organization that calculates the value of volunteer work. In Nevada, each hour of volunteer work is worth $18.82.
"It's true that these are challenging times for our state and nation," said Gov. Sandoval. "Volunteerism, like charitable giving, has suffered a bit as families look inward. And yet, in every corner of our state, members of the Nevada family continue to step up and give up their time. So today, we proudly recognize some stand-out individuals and organizations who have given of their time, treasure and talent."The Governor's Points of Light Awards highlight service by honoring outstanding volunteers and volunteer programs across the state with finalists and award recipients in six separate categories. MGM Resorts is the first company in the gaming industry to receive the prestigious award. "Thanks to the tireless efforts of our employees, last year's volunteer challenge was met with great enthusiasm," Murren said. He applauded employees. "Continue to inspire your coworkers to make a difference and keep up the great work that you personally put into making our Company, community, and world a better place."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV