News Summary: Jobless Rates Fall 22 US States
By The Associated Press
FITFUL PROGRESS: Unemployment rates fell in less than half of U.S. states in December â¿¿ 22 â¿¿ as steady but slow hiring is making only gradual improvement in the job market. Rates rose in 16 states and held steady in 12.
BIG STRIDES: Nevada's unemployment rate, the highest in the nation, dropped 0.6 percentage point to 10.2 percent. Its decline from 13 percent a year ago was the biggest in the nation. Rhode Island's rate also fell to 10.2 percent, down from 10.4 percent in November.
STAYING BUSY: North Dakota reported the nation's lowest unemployment rate., at 3.2 percent. Nebraska had the second-lowest rate, at 3.7 percent, followed by South Dakota at 4.4 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV