Dudley offered a simple response: when things settle down and liquidity in markets improves.
Note: The Fed's two current monetary easing programs include $40 billion a month in open-ended, mortgage-backed securities purchases and $45 billion a month in open-ended, longer-term Treasury bond purchases.
"I think there's a lot of suspicion, both in the markets and elsewhere, that the effects of all that easing policy is having kind of diminishing returns," Plosser said in an interview with TheStreet on Jan. 16, 2013. "The benefits, if you will, are not as strong as they were at the height of the crisis."
The meeting then turned to concerns about Europe and whether institutions in the eurozone would be at significant risk of liquidity problems.Atlanta Fed President Dennis Lockhart asked if there were any "analogs" to Countrywide and Washington Mutual in Europe. The answer to Lockhart's question revealed how unaware Fed members were of the gaping problems that would eventually cripple the U.S. financial system. "I think there is a general sense that a lot of this subprime stuff ended up, as it has in the past, in institutions in Europe," Geithner responded. "So I assume that we have the risk ...
"I have talked to the heads of almost every single one of these firms in the last 72 hours, andHere's that video: -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Ben Bernankehas no idea what it's like out there. None. And Former St. Louis Fed. PresidentBill Poole has no idea what it's like out there. My people have been in this game for 25 years and they're losing their jobs, and these firms are going to go out of business, and he's nuts! They're nuts! They know nothing!... This is a different kind of market, and the Fed is asleep."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV