NEW YORK, Jan. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index team today released its 2012 Hedge Fund Market Review . The report includes statistics on hedge fund performance and asset flows in 2012. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished December up 1.48%. Overall performance for 2012 was 7.67%;
- Though the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $31B in 2012, overall assets remained relatively stable at $1.8T when factoring in performance gains;
- The Fixed Income Arbitrage and Global Macro sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis in 2012, with inflows of 16.0% and 3.6%, respectively;
- A greater number of hedge fund managers posted positive performance in 2012, approximately 75% compared with about 35% in 2011;
- On an industry-wide basis, a larger percentage of asset inflows went to funds with monthly or better liquidity, suggesting greater investor demand for more liquidity; and
- Overall, hedge funds, as represented by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, continued to provide positive risk-adjusted returns relative to other strategies.
The report also offers insight into hedge fund performance in the month of December. Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website, www.hedgeindex.com. Click here to view the 2012 Hedge Fund Market Review.
About S&P Dow Jones IndicesS&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a subsidiary of The McGraw-Hill Companies is the world's largest, global resource for index-based concepts, data and research. Home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC has over 115 years of experience constructing innovative and transparent solutions that fulfill the needs of institutional and retail investors. More assets are invested in products based upon our indices than any other provider in the world. With over 830,000 indices covering a wide range of assets classes across the globe, S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC defines the way investors measure and trade the markets. To learn more about our company, please visit www.spdji.com. About Credit Suisse AG Credit Suisse AG Credit Suisse AG is one of the world's leading financial services providers and is part of the Credit Suisse group of companies (referred to here as 'Credit Suisse'). As an integrated bank, Credit Suisse is able to offer clients its expertise in the areas of private banking, investment banking and asset management from a single source. Credit Suisse provides specialist advisory services, comprehensive solutions and innovative products to companies, institutional clients and high net worth private clients worldwide, and also to retail clients in Switzerland. Credit Suisse is headquartered in Zurich and operates in over 50 countries worldwide. The group employs approximately 48,400 people. The registered shares (CSGN) of Credit Suisse's parent company, Credit Suisse Group AG, are listed in Switzerland and, in the form of American Depositary Shares (CS), in New York. Further information about Credit Suisse can be found at www.credit-suisse.com Copyright © 2013, CREDIT SUISSE GROUP AG and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts