At the early part of 2012, Moffett took exception to telecoms like AT&T, Verizon and Sprint (S) as investments, ahead of their outperformance through the first half of the year on strong wireless earnings and M&A speculation.
In particular, Moffett highlighted earnings-wrecking Apple iPhone 5 subsidies, margin declines, pension liability and capital spending as reason for caution, amid the sector's outperformance.
While Moffett's view proved mistimed for much of 2012, a recent string of analyst downgrades thanks to AT&T and Verizon's expected declines in wireless margins and both companies' recent underperformance, supports the underlying analysis.
As part of AT&T's Thursday 8-K filing, the carrier also disclosed it sold 10.2 million iPhones in the fourth quarter, more than previous analyst estimates. The disclosure caused Moffett to further cut his earnings estimates for AT&T and Verizon, in a Friday analysis.While the analyst's bearish 2012 analysis of the telecom sector is likely to finally play out in fourth-quarter earnings next week, it might also set the stage for another strong year for the telecom sector. Evercore Partners analyst Jonathan Schildkraut wrote in earnings previews that a fourth-quarter miss on iPhone subsidy costs could represent a buying opportunity for AT&T and Verizon investors. After taking in AT&T's disclosure, which also contains $175 million in Hurricane Sandy related operating charges, Schildkraut reiterated that perspective. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV