NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Cloud computing, in which data centers replace dedicated servers with racks of commodity hardware and run software from any operating system that scales instantly, has a road map.
That road map starts with public clouds like those of Amazon.com (AMZN), then moves to private clouds run by big enterprises beginning this year, and finally to "hybrid" clouds combining the two sometime mid-decade.
So this was supposed to be the big year for private cloud, and for companies like Dell (DELL) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) it was to be a year of redemption, with customers finally ready to write big checks to gain the economics of cloud with the privacy and security they claimed to demand.
But that future may not come. Dell's move to go private, and last Thursday's resignation of HP's Cloud Services general manager, Zorawar "Rai" Singh,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV