Following up on a review-for-downgrade initiated March 20, Moody's lowered ratings on Bermuda-based Assured Guaranty Ltd. to A2 from Aa3, while also downgrading several related entities and subsidiaries.
"Today's rating action reflects Moody's downward reassessment of Assured's business franchise, expected future profitability, and financial flexibility," read a statement from Moody's. "Assured operates in an industry that has not recovered from the financial crisis and, like its peers, will continue to struggle in the face of declining fundamentals, including a dramatic reduction in insurance usage, modest profitability and still-meaningful legacy risk."
MKM Partners analyst Harry Fong, who had recently speculated that Moody's unusually lengthy review process might be a sign the ratings agency was having second thoughts about the potential downgrade, nonetheless maintained his "Buy" rating and $28 12-month price target. Assured Guaranty shares opened some 4% lower, but were down by 2.57% to $14.23 about 30 minutes into trading."While this downgrade is clearly unwelcome news, its shares still represent excellent value, in our opinion. As we have highlighted several times since Moody's issued its downgrade notice last year, the company does have options, and we are confident management planned for this possibility," Fong wrote. BTIG analyst Mark Palmer predicted Friday morning's selloff after the downgrade could take the shares lower by 10% or more. However, he added, "we doubt very much that any downdraft will persist." Palmer added that since the initial review for downgrade was initiated "a significant number of investors have done a great amount of work to understand
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV