ATLANTA, Jan. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Visitors to next week's North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) will see major renovations at the show's home, the Cobo Center, designed by the world leader in convention centers, tvsdesign. The new design significantly revitalizes the facility for the NAIAS and other upcoming events, incorporating visible and behind-the-scenes elements. The upgrades restore prominence to Cobo, celebrating Detroit's history and renewed future while making it more attractive and marketable to prospective clients.
- Light-filled Atrium features a dramatic new view of the Detroit River and Canada. That river perspective will carry through the renovation of Cobo's arena, ballroom and meeting room wing.
- Design preserves elements of the existing building, removing the arena seating and creating new floorplates for meeting, banquet and exhibition spaces.
- Functionality and marketability have been increased by upgrading spaces and incorporating state-of-the-art technology -- including an expansive video wall.
tvsdesign is the lead designer for the Cobo renovation. A world leader in convention center design, the firm has designed more than 60 exhibition and convention centers around the world, including the latest expansions at four of the five largest in the United States and three of the most prominent in China.
Cobo Center Details:
- Renovation to be completed in multiple phases while facility remains in operation
- Functionality and marketability has been increased by upgrading spaces and incorporating state-of-the-art technology
- Incorporating "adaptive reuse" strategies, existing arena has become a new 40,000 s.f. ballroom
- More show space (an additional 25,000 s.f. added to Oakland Hall)
- A new riverfront atrium adds 30,000 s.f. of new circulation space, currently used by the auto show for presentations and exhibits.
- Giant animated display video wall welcomes visitors at the main entrance
- Strong audio/visual theatrical capabilities increase the capabilities for presentations and marketing at special events
- New 4000 s.f. state-of-the-art in-house production studio has been added to accommodate cars and other elements on the studio floor
- Sustainable initiatives reduce energy and operating costs
- U.S. Projects: McCormick Place ( Chicago), Georgia World Congress Center ( Atlanta), Music City Convention Center ( Nashville); Orange County Convention Center ( Orlando), Long Beach (Calif.) Convention & Entertainment Center, Washington Convention Center ( Washington, D.C.), Pennsylvania Convention Center ( Philadelphia, PA).
- International Projects: China International Exhibition Center ( Beijing), Tianjin Meijiang Convention Center ( Tianjin, China), Nanjing International Expo Center ( Nanjing, China), Ningxia Conference Center (Yinchuan, China), Puerto Rico Convention Center ( San Juan, PR)