PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Oh, so you think you're a skilled car shopper because you're waiting until Presidents Day to go buy a new vehicle? Good luck reliving Black Friday.
There's no consensus on the best time to buy a car, but it's definitely not during a holiday sale that everyone near a television, radio or local news site knows about. Some experts, including those at Lifehacker, argue that the best time to get out there is in September and October, when the new models are just coming in and dealers are in a rush to get old models off the floors and lots.
The folks at AOL Cars were of the belief that the best time to buy was last month, when dealers needed to make end-of-year sales quotas and were willing to offer rebates and discounts as high as 30%. The numbers seem to back that up, as auto sales increased 9% in December and helped automakers sell 14.5 million cars last year, up 13.4% from 2011.
The truth is; Any time the weather takes a turn for the gray, miserable worst and the dealerships are empty is the best time to make a deal. That's especially true from now until about mid-February, when the first income tax refunds start trickling in and everybody starts heading to the lots flush with cash.There are deals out there for folks in the northern states willing to brave some of the bleakest weeks on the calendar. We consulted with the folks at auto pricing site TrueCar and found five vehicles worth checking out this winter:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV