New Study Confirms States Can Reduce Youth Smoking With Well-Funded Prevention Programs, Higher Tobacco Taxes And Strong Smoke-Free Laws
The states must restore funding for tobacco prevention programs that have been slashed by 36 percent (about $260 million) since 2008. The states this year are collecting a record $25.7 billion from the tobacco settlement and tobacco taxes, but are spending less than two percent of it ( $459.5 million) on these life-saving programs, according to a report issued in November by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and other public health organizations. The states are providing just 12.4 percent of the funding recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is shameful and must improve.
States must also pick up the pace in enacting tobacco tax increases and smoke-free laws. State progress has slowed on these measures as the tobacco industry and its allies have increased their opposition, even seeking to roll them back. As revealed this week by a report from the National Institute on Money in State Politics, tobacco companies spend huge sums on political contributions to try to get their way, contributing $3.5 million to state-level candidates and $3 million to party committees during the 2011-2012 election cycle.
Tobacco use kills more than 400,000 Americans and costs the nation $96 billion in health care bills each year. The new study is a timely reminder that tobacco's toll is entirely preventable if elected leaders fully implement tobacco prevention measures that are proven to work.
The study abstract can be found at: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300948SOURCE Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV