PECO is urging customers to be aware of a scam that continues to target customers in the Philadelphia area. The scam, which has been reportedly taking place throughout the country, claims that customers are behind on their account and must make immediate payment to avoid service termination.
Customers are being asked to purchase a pre-paid debit card, in random amounts, from local pharmacies or convenience stores. The customer is then directed to contact a number to utilize the card for immediate payment to their account. Once the information is provided to the scammer, the funds on the card are removed.
“We want to make our customers aware of this scam so they can protect themselves from becoming victims of this and other fraudulent activities,” said Mark Alden, PECO vice president of Customer Operations. “We will not tolerate anyone taking advantage of our customers. We are working closely with local police to investigate any instances of scamming in our service territory so that these individuals can be caught and brought to justice.”
PECO offers these tips for customers to help avoid being scammed:
If customers receive a call from someone who says they are calling to
collect a bill payment for PECO, the caller should be able to provide
information specific to the customer’s account. This includes the
- Account Name
- Account Address
- Account Number
- Amount of Current Balance
- Never provide your social security number, or banking or credit card information over the phone unless you have initiated the call.
- Never provide anyone access to your home who claims to be from PECO, or a contractor working for PECO, unless the person has proper identification. Customers can always contact the company at 1-800-494-4000 to confirm an official visit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV