Silver Is Being Manipulated, Platinum Is Not
Instead, silver-recycling is subsumed by the category of "old silver scrap" sales, which primarily consists of ordinary people pawning their sterling silver tableware and tea services. Yet even when we combine the pawning and actual "recycling" of silver into a single category, we see an anemic rise of little more than 25% while the price of silver increased 600%.
Half of that increase occurred in 2011 alone, when the price of silver briefly spiked to a (nominal) 30-year high. With the price of silver now more than 30% below that peak, we will likely see that recycling/scrap sales of silver fell in 2012.
We live in an era of recycling mania, yet silver recycling is nearly as depressed as the silver mining industry itself. Why is this? Severe underpricing of silver is the only possible explanation.
With silver inventories having collapsed while platinum inventories remain abundant, we collectively have a much greater motive/incentive to recycle silver than to recycle platinum. With silver being used in some of our most-important emerging technologies (everything from cruise missiles to solar-panel cells to unique anti-microbial compounds), we have a much greater incentive to recycle silver than to recycle platinum.Again, there is only one possible explanation as to why platinum recycling is exploding while silver recycling is extremely depressed: The gross underpricing of silver. In
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV