Ill. Jobless Rate Holds At 8.7 Percent In December
CHICAGO (AP) â¿¿ Illinois' unemployment rate held steady at 8.7 percent in December.
Preliminary data released Thursday by the Illinois Department of Employment Security show there are 576,000 Illinois residents out of work. The rate doesn't reflect unemployed people who've quit looking for work.
IDES Director Jay Rowell says the state's long-term trend is "moderate growth punctuated by monthly up-and-down movement in the unemployment rate and the number of people working."
Rowell says the positive trend is threatened by continuing deliberations in Washington on the debt ceiling and the fiscal cliff.December's seasonally adjusted rate is 1 percentage point lower than December 2011. Illinois has added 167,000 private sector jobs since January 2010. That's when job growth started returning following almost two years of consecutive monthly declines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV