Here's the deal: As Atkinson vaguely explains in her final few paragraphs, Pandora pays 93% of its content acquisition costs to SoundExchange on a per-track basis as per the 2009 Webcaster Settlement (See my explanation of compulsory versus direct licensing for some color). This is the chunk of money the labels and Internet radio are fighting over in Congress right now.
Composition royalties/music publishing rights make up roughly 4% of Pandora's content acquisition expenses; this money goes to music publishers such as Sony/ATV.
So, the devil is in the details, buried by the New York Post. Using simple numbers -- if Atkinson's story is legit, that 4% portion of the pie will see the 25% increase, not the 93%, which is fixed through 2015.
As I write, P is down more than 2%. The damage was worse in the pre-market and at the open. Why? All because of a headline.Shocking, but this is all too strangely similar to what went down in another Rupert Murdoch-owned publication, The Wall Street Journal, earlier in the week regarding "weak demand" for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 5. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV