Direct Textbook: 10 Tips To Combat Skyrocketing College Textbook Prices
PORTLAND, Ore., Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- DirectTextbook.com, the leading college textbook buy-sell-rent search engine, shares tips and tricks for saving up to 90 percent on textbooks for students and parents. The price of college textbooks has increased by 812 percent since 1978; outpacing new home prices, medical services, and even college tuition, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. With the average four-year college student facing a projected cost of $1,190 for textbooks in 2013, it's no wonder many students and parents are seeking cheap textbooks to reduce the financial burden of higher academic pursuits.
"Retail prices on college textbooks can be staggering, especially when students already face the rising costs of tuition, room, board, and impending student loan repayments," said Morgan Macarthur, Direct Textbook Chief Technology Officer. "Today's college freshmen can expect to spend nearly $5,000 on textbooks during four years of college. Direct Textbooks is thrilled to help college students achieve their higher education goals by showing them how to save thousands of dollars on textbooks."
DirectTextbook.com offers the following 10 tips to help college students save as much as 90 percent on textbooks:
- Do your homework: There are more than 50 quality online textbook retailers, and prices for any given textbook can vary widely between them. Keep in mind that while Amazon is a good store, it doesn't always have the cheapest textbook prices.
- Buy used: Used textbooks are almost always cheaper than new textbooks.
- Sell your old textbooks: Recoup your textbook expenses by selling used textbooks to other financially-savvy students.
- Rent textbooks: Textbook rental programs represent significant savings over purchases, typically between 30 and 50 percent.
- Get free shipping: Textbook shipping increases overall cost, but many online textbook retailers offer free shipping deals.
- Redeem coupons: Search for coupons for online textbook retailers to save money at checkout.
- Consider ebooks: Ebooks cost less to produce, and some of those savings are passed on to students.
- Buy early and plan ahead: Textbooks sell fast; the best prices are available early in the semester. Plan for classes a semester or two ahead and watch textbook prices to buy when needed titles hit rock bottom.
- Find cash back programs: Some textbook retailers participate in cash back programs that pay back as much as 20 percent of total purchases.
- Check reviews: Investigate seller reviews to avoid being scammed by unscrupulous dealers and to ensure textbooks arrive in good condition.
A free service, DirectTextbook.com is a one-stop shop for college textbook savings, featuring a textbook search engine that lets students compare college textbook prices from more than 50 different vendors on a single page. DirectTextbook.com makes it quick and easy to:
- Search and compare textbooks: Save up to 90 percent from more than 50 different vendors in multiple textbook formats: new, used, rental and ebook
- Sell used textbooks: Get cash by selling textbooks back to vendors
- Redeem textbook coupons: Automatically find all applicable coupons for any textbook
- Sign up for price alerts: Be instantly notified when specific textbooks reach new low prices
- Search libraries: Instantly check local libraries for needed textbooks
- Get free shipping: Most books are shipped free
- Get cash back: Receive up to 20 percent cash back on textbook purchases
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV