Mass. Unemployment Rate Up Slightly Last Month
BOSTON (AP) â¿¿ State officials say the Massachusetts economy added 7,500 jobs in December, but the unemployment rate still edged up by one-tenth of a percentage point to 6.7 percent.
The state Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development announced Thursday that the unemployment rate rose from 6.6 percent in November, but was two-tenths of a percentage point below the December 2011 level. The state unemployment rate remains well below the national rate of 7.8 percent.
The state reported the most job gains in the education and health services sector, as well as in leisure and hospitality and construction.
The sectors that lost the most jobs in December was trade, transportation, and utilities.The agency said the number of jobs lost in November was revised up from 1,100 to 3,200.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV