AMR: We Await Our Boeing 787s
"We're confident that Boeing will resolve the issues" with the aircraft, Chief Operating Officer Virasb Vahidi said Thursday, in an interview. The 787 was grounded Wednesday by the Federal Aviation Administration due to issues involving the lithium-ion batteries, which have overheated in two cases this month.
American is scheduled to begin taking delivery of 787s in November 2014. In a Monday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the carrier said it and Boeing have agreed to "an accelerated delivery schedule for the 787 aircraft with deliveries scheduled to commence in November 2014 and to continue in each calendar year through September 2018."
Under its purchase agreement with Boeing, which was restructured in bankruptcy, American has not altered its total of 42 Dreamliner orders and 58 Dreamliner options.United (UAL), the only U.S. carrier that flies the 787, has grounded the six in its fleet. In a note issued Thursday, S&P Capital IQ analyst Jim Corridore said he sees no major impact on United from the action. "We would expect Boeing to eventually fix the problems the aircraft is having, but in the meantime, we do not see a major impact on UAL or any of the U.S. airlines," Corridore said. "With only a small portion of its capacity related to the 787, we think UAL will easily shift other planes onto the international routes these planes serve until the aircraft has fixes in place and is proven safe." Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV