Positive Outlook On Obama's Second Term As Inauguration Day Approaches
Independents, typically expected to fall between Republicans and Democrats, in many cases show stronger affiliation with one party or another, depending on the issue.
Independents' priorities resemble those of Republicans for:
- Jobs (49% Republican, 39% Democrat, 48% Independent),
- Immigration (18%-9%-16%) and
- Gun control (10%-26%-8%).
Priority levels are more closely aligned with Democrats on:
- Education (8% Republican, 19% Democrat, 19% Independent) and
- The environment (3%-9%-11%).
When asked, unprompted, to name the one issue or concern they felt was the most important for Obama and his administration to address, after the economy, healthcare was the top response at nearly 1 in 5 adults (17%):
- Healthcare (17%),
- Jobs/Unemployment (10%),
- National debt/deficit/government spending (8%),
- Gun control (7%).
- Healthcare is down slightly (21% to 17%),
- Jobs/unemployment mentions have doubled (5% to 10%),
- National debt/deficit/government spending has gone from an also-ran (1%) to the third most frequent mention (8%) and
- Gun control related comments have gone from negligible mentions in 2009 to Americans' fourth highest current priority (<1% to 7%).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts