Fla. Must Offer Insurance Or Pay $300M Penalty
But Corcoran said other alternatives could be to pare back the number of people who work at least 30 hours a week or create a stand-alone health insurance plan that offers different benefits from those offered to full-time state employees.
Lawmakers are expected during the 2013 session to deal with several items dealing with the federal care overhaul â¿¿ including whether to expand Medicaid to cover families whose incomes are just above the poverty line.
The latest state estimates show that overall, the health care overhaul could cost the state's health insurance plan by as much as $73 million in the coming year and $137 million by 2015.
Karen Woodall, executive director of the Florida Center for Fiscal and Economic Policy, said legislators should be consider the money they could be saving in other parts of the state budget if they cover part-time workers. She said those part-timers could be costing the state through emergency room visits that are ultimately covered by taxpayers anyway."Where are people going to get their health care now?" she asked. Follow Gary Fineout on Twitter: http://twitter.com/fineout .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV