Emerson Process Management, a global business of Emerson (NYSE: EMR), has been awarded a contract to apply its Ovation™ expert control system at the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project near Tonopah, Nev. When it comes online at the end of 2013, this 110-megawatt concentrated solar power (CSP) project will be the first commercial-scale solar facility in the United States to generate power from solar energy that is captured and stored in liquid molten salt.
The project, which is being developed by Tonopah Solar Energy LLC, an affiliate of SolarReserve LLC, is expected to produce enough clean, renewable electricity to power more than 75,000 homes during peak electricity demand, and will be executed by Cobra Thermosolar Plants, Inc. as engineering, procurement and construction contractor.
The Crescent Dunes facility will use SolarReserve’s CSP technology, which enables energy from the sun to be captured and stored to generate electricity on demand – not only when the sun is shining – thereby contributing to overall grid stability. The facility’s 10,500 mirror assemblies focus the sun’s energy to heat molten salt that flows through a central receiver, which sits atop a 540-foot-tall solar power tower. The molten salt will flow from the “cold” storage tank, up the tower where it circulates through the receiver and is heated by the sun’s energy from 500 degrees Fahrenheit to 1050 degrees. The molten salt then flows down to the “hot” storage tank, where the thermal energy will be used to produce steam to power a standard steam turbine, which then generates electricity. Excess thermal energy will be stored in the molten salt.
Emerson’s Ovation technology will directly control the circuit and heating process of the molten salt system, the water/steam cycle and auxiliary processes. The control system will also provide supervisory control of the mirrors and interface with the turbine control system.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV