Changes Target Unemployment Insurance In Wis.
The report calls for running a "responsible" program that "protects benefits for the unemployed while responsibly administering a solvent program without unnecessary spending of vital employer tax dollars."
The unemployment insurance reserve fund was hard hit by the recession and began 2012 with a $1.2 billion deficit. The state had to limit benefits for those out of work and borrow money from the federal government to continue paying benefits. Employers have been paying a special payroll tax to cover the interest on the loan since 2011. The report says that charge is expected to remain in place through next year.
Walker issued an executive order last year calling for creation of the report identifying rules that hinder economic growth. Wisconsin businesses were also surveyed for input.
"Making these changes will make it easier to do business in the state, while maintaining the safety and health of our citizens," Walker said in his State of the State speech.Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald praised the Walker report, saying it had solid ideas for reform. "This is the first step in this process to remove onerous red tape and help businesses create more jobs," Fitzgerald said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV