Your Own Personal Breathalyzer
Are you OK to drive, or should you call a cab?
If you make the wrong decision, you may end up in jail or worse. You will meet lawyers. You will wear out your checkbook. And you will flinch when the car insurance bill comes.
Or you could buy your own personal breathalyzer and blow.
Devices cost $3 to $300, and their accuracy varies almost as much. The wrong device is worse than useless if it puts a drunk behind the wheel.Yet more and more people are slipping one into their glove compartments. According to Wintergreen Research, sales of breathalyzers hit $284.6 million in 2011, and they forecast that number will climb to $3.2 billion by 2018 as prices fall and accuracy improves. In fact, French law already requires that all drivers carry one.
A guide, not a guaranteeIn the end, the only number that counts is the one on the police officer's device. A first-time DUI can cost thousands in court fees and will easily double your rates, says Penny Gusner, consumer analyst with CarInsurance.com. A second DUI may send your rates up 300 percent -- when you get your license back. (See "Calculate your limit: Avoid a DUI disaster.") A final caveat: Blowing a number under the legal limit is not a free pass to drive. Impairment is more than just a breathalyzer number, and it is possible to be under the legal limit and still be arrested. According to Gusner, the insurance premium jump for impaired driving is going to be very similar to a DUI conviction. "I would give myself a wide, wide margin of error," Gusner says.
A long way from the DrunkometerWhile alcohol intoxication is defined as a blood alcohol concentration (BAC), testing blood is just not feasible when you are out on the town.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV