In three minutes, DeMark was able to do what Tim Cook and every Apple investor had wanted to accomplish since September, that is, break the Apple curse. DeMark increased the valuation of Apple by more than $1 billion per minute he was on the air. By the time DeMark was finished, Apple was worth $4 billion more than when he started.
In return for not taking a quick dollar or two, I was able to learn more of what to expect in similar situations. I wanted to enter into a long position on weakness Wednesday, but the curse is now broken and I don't expect to see a sub $490 price any time soon.
Fortunately, Apple is less than a week away from reporting earnings. Stock option premiums tend to increase in front of earnings giving me a second kick at the can. Before Apple fills the gap and moves above $520, the price will encounter resistance near $515. If Apple offers a buying dip after touching $515, I will look to sell $500 put options to capture the elevated premium.
I expect very favorable earnings numbers that will turn into a wake-up call for those that believed the next stop was $400 or lower.Don't know what TDCombo and TD Sequential are? Get a copy of "DeMark Indicators" by Jason Perl and published by Wiley. It's one of the best DeMark books I have read. Two excellent books about behavioral finance include "Neuroeconomics, Decision Making and the Brain" published by Academic Press and "Behavioral Investment Management: An Efficient Alternative to Modern Portfolio Theory" by Davies and published by McGraw-Hill. If you're not reading investment books, keep in mind your counter-parts are. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV