Moodoff Day Examines Smartphone Addiction With Worldwide Movement To Disconnect For A Day
SYDNEY, Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The dangers of smartphone addiction are well documented, but few address the problem. Moodoff Day is providing smartphone users around the world with the opportunity to bring awareness to the problem by turning off technology for five hours during International Moodoff Day on Sunday Feb. 24, 2013. This year's slogan is "Smart hours for Smart people without smartphones".
"Why is it called Moodoff Day?" asked Tapas Senapati, founder of the movement. "Because when we ask somebody to stop browsing for a minute their entire mood is off. People discuss smartphone addiction, but the true message is getting lost in all the discussion."
The Sydney, Australia-based non-profit organization is asking smartphone users around the globe to stop using their devices for five hours on last Sunday of February. Participants are asked to enjoy a morning without technology by having breakfast and reconnecting with family for a few hours before browsing on their smartphones during Moodoff Day.The movement has gained support in dozens of countries, from the UK and South Africa to Singapore and the United States. Moodoff Day highlights the obsession many users have with their smartphones and texting while driving. The organization supports the efforts of U.S. residents, Clay and Shauna Sauer, to enact a ban on driving and texting. The couple, now biggest supporters of Moodoff Day campaign, lost their daughter, Taylor, in a horrific accident shortly after she posted a message on Facebook. In an era of instant communications and a wealth of social media sites, smartphone users are constantly surfing the Web, texting and updating their social media status. Many with an addiction are in denial about their dependency, despite the inability to be separated from their smartphone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV