- Fourth-quarter EPS of 43 cents beats the consensus estimate of a 41-cent profit.
- Mortgage revenue rises 38% sequentially.
- Period-end total commercial loans increase by 5% sequentially; C&I loans by 8%.
- Net interest income declines; net interest margin narrows.
- Fourth quarter ROA of 1.33%, ROTCE of 14.1%, both increasing sequentially and year-over-year.
Updated with midday market action and comments from Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) of Cincinnati on Thursday announced another quarter of very strong mortgage revenue growth and solid increases in commercial and industrial loan balances.
The company reported fourth-quarter net earnings available to common shareholders of $390 million, or 43 cents a share, increasing from $354 million, or 38 cents a share in the third quarter, and $305 million, or 33 cents a share, in the fourth quarter of 2011.For all of 2012, Fifth Third reported earnings available to common shares of $1.541 billion, or $1.66 a share, increasing from $1.094 billion, or $1.18 a share, in 2011. The fourth-quarter results beat the consensus estimate of a 41-cent profit, among analyst polled by Thomson Reuters. The fourth-quarter results reflected a number of one-time items, including a $157 million gain on the sale of Vantiv (VNTV) shares, which amounted to $102 million after taxes, adding 11 cents a share to earnings. Fifth Third's former payment processing subsidiary completed its initial public offering in March. Fifth Third held a 33% stake in Vantiv as of Dec. 31. Negative after-tax one-time items for the fourth-quarter included:
- $87 million, or nine cents a share, for debt extinguishment.
- $12 million, or a penny a share, on a reduced valuation for a warrant to purchase Vantiv shares.
- $10 million, or a penny a share, "related to the valuation of a Visa total return swap."
- $19 million, or two cents a share, to increase mortgage putback reserves, "due to new Freddie Mac (FMCC) guidance for potential 2004-06 repurchase claims."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV