After the markets closed Wednesday, eBay reported revenue of $4 billion, an 18% increase from a year earlier and above analysts' forecast of $3.98 billion.
Excluding items, eBay earned 70 cents a share, up from 60 cents. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 69 cents a share.
The company's Marketplaces business, which was widely expected to boost eBay's fourth-quarter numbers, generated record revenue of $2 billion.eBay shares climbed 3.12% to $54.55 in premarket trading. The San Jose, Calif.-based firm was also one of the most active premarket Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 172,013. Facebook (FB), fresh from its Graph Search launch earlier this week, was another gainer, rising 0.94% to $30.13. Apple (AAPL), which gained 4.15% on Wednesday, rose 0.86% to $510.44 before market open. The iPhone maker was another active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 79,295. Dell (DELL), the subject of buyout rumors this week, gained 0.71% to reach $12.70 in premarket trading. The No. 3 PC maker ended Wednesday's session down 4.25%. Intel (INTC), which reports its fourth-quarter results after market close, rose 0.5% to $22.22 in premarket trading. HP (HPQ) shares crept up rose 0.41% to $17.28 before market open. The No. 1 PC maker's stock closed up 4.11% on Wednesday following a news report that potential purchasers are evaluating the company's Autonomy and EDS units. Cisco (CSCO), however, was a loser, falling 1.43% to $20.73 on share volume of 74,160, while Microsoft (MSFT) dipped 0.11% to $27.01. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV