Fentons Settles Fourth 'isocyanate' Asthma Case Against Same Employer
LONDON, January 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
A fourth occupational asthma claim in three years against the same plastics manufacturing firm has been settled by Fentons Solicitors LLP, after employees developed occupational asthma because they were exposed to the chemical, 'isocyanate'.
John Gibney, a member of the specialist Industrial Disease Claims team at Fentons, said that his client's case was just the latest where an employee of the plastics firm had developed the condition, and said he fears that there may be even more workers who have been affected who have yet to come forward.
"This latest case, which we settled for £10,000, involved a PVC panel maker who has been affected by the isocyanate when a machine he was using had not been fitted with a fumes extractor," said John, a solicitor with Fentons' Manchester office. "Even when the extraction unit was later fitted, his symptoms continued and it transpired that the extractor was inadequate and the filter inside was not cleaned on a regular basis as it should have been. Our client was also not provided with adequate respiratory protection."After he was moved to a different department his condition has improved, but his lungs are still not recovered from the exposure." John explained that whilst isocyanate was commonly used in industry, it could affect the lungs if precautionary measures such as filtering, appropriate respiratory protection and appropriate ventilation were not applied. "My colleagues in the Industrial Disease team have dealt with a significant number of these cases from across the country in the last few years, but the fact that this is the fourth claimant to have been exposed at the same plastics manufacturing firm is clearly a cause for concern," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV