NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates moved lower after reaching a 4-month high last week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate retreating to 3.60 percent this week, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.36 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate pulled back to 2.89 percent and the larger jumbo 30-year mortgage dropped to 4.04 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were lower across the board, with the popular 5-year ARM sliding to 2.74 percent and the 7-year ARM sinking to 2.88 percent.The glow of the fiscal cliff deal is beginning to wear off, with mortgage rates now sliding back after a run-up to start the year. Although recent economic data has been pretty positive, the pace of the decline in bond yields and mortgage rates will likely pick up as nervousness about the debt ceiling debate increases. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate now 3.60 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $909.29, a difference of $173 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.60% -- down from 3.67% last week (avg. points: 0.36) 15-year fixed: 2.89% -- down from 2.92% last week (avg. points: 0.27) 5/1 ARM: 2.74% -- down from 2.77% last week (avg. points: 0.31)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV